This simple recipe for delicious cornbread is easy enough for beginning cooks to make. Serve it with some hot chili to warm everybody up on a cold winter's day.
This bread is delicious right out of the oven served with some butter melting into each piece. Remember that cornbread is meant to be very mild and plain. If you'd like to add some heat to this recipe, stir in some chopped jalapeno peppers or add some crushed red bell pepper flakes. You could also stir in a cup of frozen corn kernels that have been thawed and drained.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons of sugar, if desired
- 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 6 tablespoons of solid shortening or butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9" square baking pan with nonstick baking spray containing flour and set aside.
2. Sift the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl, and, using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the shortening or butter until particles are fine.
3. In a medium bowl beat the buttermilk and eggs together until mixture is blended. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients until just blended and you can't see the flour or cornmeal.
This doesn't take long; don't overbeat the batter. There will still be some lumps.
4. You can also make this by combining the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. In a microwave-safe small bowl, melt the shortening or butter. Add buttermilk, then beat in eggs. Stir into the dry ingredients just until combined.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 23-30 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve hot with lots of butter and maple syrup!