Whether you're glazing a red velvet cupcake or my favorite pumpkin bundt cake, there's nothing like a smooth, rich creme cheese glaze as the finishing touch. It's the perfect, essential topping to any moist or sweet dessert. It also pairs nicely with cinnamon rolls. Try this recipe that will sure to tempt your taste buds and melt in your mouth.
Where Did Cream Cheese Come From?
There are many schools of thought as to when cream cheese, which is a soft, mild cheese made from milk and cream -- just as its name suggests -- was invented. The most prevalent story is that it was created accidentally in 1872 by William Lawrence of New York. Other sources say cream cheese recipes were discovered in a Pennsylvania newspaper and early cookbooks that date back to 1769. Lawrence, however, is credited for being the first to produce this creamy cheese in mass quantities.
Beat cream cheese until very creamy. Beat in powdered sugar. Stir in vanilla. Add 3 tablespoons milk. Combine all the ingredients. Add more milk to get desired consistency for drizzling this cream cheese glaze on a cake.
Frosting and Icing Recipes
If you're seeking another topping for your favorite dessert, try one of my other frosting recipes:
- Everybody's Favorite Frosting: This frosting is not as heavy as a buttercream frosting. It is more like a whipped cream frosting. The only difference is there is no cream in this fluffy frosting.
- Caramel Rum Sauce: This recipe for caramel rum sauce would be great on ice cream. It's also the perfect glaze for the brown sugar pound cake.
- Coconut Pecan Frosting: A German chocolate cake is a lightly flavored chocolate cake. It needs a powerful icing to make it something special. That’s what this recipe is all about.
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:This recipe for chocolate buttercream icing is one of those recipes you'll want to keep for easy access.
- Decadent Hot Fudge Icing: Make any cake straight from the oven taste better with this recipe for hot fudge icing.