This easy sweet potato pudding is smooth and delicious. It's made with a combination of spices and brown sugar. The pudding is made light and fluffy with beaten egg whites.
This sweet potato pudding makes an excellent dessert for a holiday dinner. It's like a sweet potato pie without the crust!
Use freshly cooked and mashed sweet potatoes (instructions below) or canned sweet potato puree.
- 2 eggs, separated, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash ground ginger
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potatoes*
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4). Butter a 1 1/2-quart casserole or baking dish.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Beat the egg yolks in a separate bowl.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add well-beaten egg yolks, milk, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and sweet potatoes.
- Fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Turn mixture into the prepared baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Serve with freshly whipped cream or a caramel sauce.
*To cook the sweet potatoes, peel and slice 2 medium sweet potatoes. Put the sliced sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to low. Cook until tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. Drain and mash.
You Might Also Like