Canned tomatoes make this soup a snap to fix, and it tastes great! Top it off with some chopped fresh basil leaves or grated Parmesan cheese.
Serve the tomato soup with crackers or make a lunch with grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (scant) ground black pepper
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes (undrained)
- Optional: 1/4 cup basil leaves (chopped, or fresh grated Parmesan)
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-low heat. Add chopped onion and celery; cook, stirring, until tender.
- Stir flour into the vegetable mixture, stirring until well incorporated. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Gradually stir in milk and add the sugar, salt, and pepper. Continue to heat, stirring, until the mixture thickens and begins to boil. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Dice tomatoes smaller or puree in a blender or processor, if a smoother soup is desired.
- Heat tomatoes in a separate saucepan.
- Put the thickened sauce back on medium-low heat and gradually add the tomatoes, stirring constantly. Heat through.
- If desired, garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese or fresh chopped basil leaves.
More Tomato Soup Recipes