This easy chicken with asparagus makes a flavorful and satisfying family meal with hot cooked rice or pasta.
I originally made this chicken dish with cream of onion soup. If you can't find the cream of onion, use cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, or cream of celery soup. Use fresh or frozen asparagus in this recipe.
- 4 to 6 boneless chicken breast halves, about 1 1/2 pounds
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed cream of onion soup
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf tarragon, if desired
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning or lemon and herb
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch asparagus or a 10-ounce package of frozen asparagus, thawed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon of cold water
Cut the chicken into chunks and place in the slow cooker. In a bowl combine the chicken broth, condensed soup, tarragon, and lemon pepper seasoning. Pour over the chicken and cook for about 6 hours on low. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed. Cut the asparagus into 1-inch lengths and add to the chicken. Add the cornstarch mixture and stir gently. Continue cooking on high for about 15 to minutes, or until the asparagus is tender and the liquids are thickened.
Serve over rice or noodles.
Serves 4 to 6.
Tips and Variations
- Use turkey tenderloins or cutlets in the recipe instead of the chicken. Cut the turkey into chunks, add it to the slow cooker, and proceed with the recipe.
- Replace the asparagus with fresh or frozen broccoli florets.
You Might Also Like