This easy crock pot chicken and rice recipe is a snap to prepare and cook in the slow cooker, and it makes a good everyday family dinner.
I used cream of chicken soup with herbs in the recipe (pictured) and it made a delicious sauce. Consider using a cooking bag in the slow cooker to make cleanup easier.
If you think you might have to let the meal cook longer or if you slow cooker seems to cook a bit high, make the dish with boneless chicken thighs and cook the rice separately. Chicken thighs don't dry out like chicken breasts, and they are more flavorful. See the tips and variations below the instructions for more.
- 2 to 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (halved)
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup or cream of chicken
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup converted rice, uncooked*
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (if cooking the rice separately, omit the chicken broth)
- 1 to 2 cups frozen green beans (thawed**)
- Freshly ground black pepper
Arrange the boneless chicken breasts in the crockery insert of the slow cooker (or in the bag if using a cooking bag in the slow cooker).
In a bowl, combine the cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup with 1/2 cup of water. Pour the mixture over the chicken.
Sprinkle the 3/4 cup of rice over the chicken and then pour the chicken broth over the rice.
Top with the thawed green beans; sprinkle lightly with freshly ground black pepper.
Cover the crockpot and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours, or until chicken is cooked and rice is tender.
Serves 4 to 6.
*Converted Rice is rice that has been partially parboiled while still in the husk. Because of the process, parboiled rice is more nutritious. It takes a little longer to cook than long-grain rice, and it holds its shape better in the slow cooker. I usually cook the rice separately because even the converted rice is somewhat mushy after 5 or 6 hours.
**To thaw the green beans, put them in a colander and run cool water over them for a few minutes.
Tips and Variations
- Use cream of celery or a similar soup in place of the cream of mushroom or cream of chicken.
- Milk, sour cream, and cream break down over long, slow cooking, so don't add them until the last hour of cooking time.
- Use frozen peas or broccoli instead of green beans, but add them about 1 hour before the dish is done.
- Layer slices of ham over the chicken for extra flavor, and feel free to add a sprinkling of shredded cheese over the green beans.
- Mushrooms can be added along with the condensed soup.
- Use boneless turkey tenderloins in this dish instead of chicken breasts.
You Might Also Like
40 Delicious Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes (Top Picks)