These easy crock pot baked beans are colorful and flavorful with bell pepper, onion, brown sugar, barbecue sauce, bacon, and other seasonings. Use your favorite brand of pork and beans in this tasty recipe.
The recipe makes enough for about 6 people and is easily scaled up for a party or tailgating. Or scale it down for 2 to 3 people and a smaller slow cooker.
The list of ingredients is uncomplicated and takes just minutes to prepare, but the beans are versatile as well. Use red bell pepper with the green bell pepper for extra color, or add some shredded carrot to the beans. Ham or diced sausage can be added to the beans in place of or in addition to the bacon. Or stir some leftover pulled pork or shredded beef into the beans. See the tips and variations for more ideas.
I love these beans with pulled pork barbecue or shredded barbecue beef sandwiches. They go well with pulled chicken as well. Add coleslaw, potato salad, and cornbread for a fabulous family meal.
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) baked beans, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped red or green bell pepper, or a combination
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup light or dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 5 slices bacon, cooked crisp, drained, crumbled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- Pour the canned beans into the slow cooker. Add the chopped bell pepper, onion, brown sugar, ketchup, barbecue sauce, and cooked crumbled bacon.
- Cover and cook on LOW setting for 6 to 8 hours.
- Serve these beans with coleslaw or potato salad and cornbread. The beans are excellent with pulled pork or beef, or barbecued chicken.
Tips and Variation Ideas
- Add sliced smoked sausage or crumbled browned breakfast sausage to the beans. Cooked sliced Italian sausage or turkey sausage would be good as well.
- Add 1/2 to 1 pound of browned ground beef to the beans.
- Add leftover pulled pork, shredded barbecue beef, or cooked shredded chicken thighs.
- Add about 1/2 to 1 cup of diced fully cooked ham to the bean mixture.
- Slice 4 to 6 hot dogs into 1-inch rounds and add to the beans.
- Spice the beans up with jalapeno pepper rings or minced jalapenos, or add 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Shred 1 carrot and add to the beans.
You Might Also Like