Cajun dirty rice is named after its "dirty" appearance. It's usually made with the addition of chicken livers. This easy version of dirty rice is made with pork sausage but chopped cooked chicken livers or a combination of livers and gizzards may be added if desired. If you cook giblets for the dish, you can replace the chicken broth with the giblet cooking broth.
This recipe makes enough for 3 to 4 servings and it is easily scaled up for more people.
- Brown sausage in a skillet or sauté pan until no longer pink, breaking up with a fork.
- Add minced onion and cook 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Pour off most of the excess fat.
- Stir in broth and rice. Simmer gently, covered, 18 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender and most of the broth is absorbed.
- Add the minced fresh parsley and toss to combine.
Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
Tips and Variations:
- Add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of chopped cooked chicken livers or gizzards to the dish along with the rice and chicken broth. Simmer as directed and then add parsley and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add 2 tablespoons of chopped celery and 2 tablespoons of chopped bell pepper to the skillet with the minced onion and saute until the onion is translucent. Continue with the recipe.