Summer desserts take two amazing forms. Cool, frozen refreshing desserts on one hand, and bubbling warm fresh out of the oven fruit filled desserts on the other.
Peach Cobbler is a summer classic, and this recipe is not only gluten-free, but also super easy and quick to put together - perfect for those busy summer days when you don't have a ton of time to spend in the kitchen.
This recipe was adapted gluten-free from a recipe by our Guide to Southern Food.
This delicious gluten-free dessert for busy summer days only takes about 10 minutes to prepare and 35 minutes to bake thanks to the easy gluten-free batter topping and shortcut peach filling.
Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon for an extra dreamy summer treat.
- 2 29oz cans sliced peaches in syrup (drain and reserve 1 cup of syrup)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1 cup gluten-free all purpose flour blend (Gluten-Free Pantry All Purpose Baking Flour used)
- 1 3/4 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar mixed with 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon for topping
- Preheat oven to 350° F / 176° C
- Drain sliced peaches in a large mesh sieve and reserve 1 cup of syrup.
- Place drained peaches in mixing bowl. Sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg and cornstarch and stir to blend.
- Pour in 3/4 cup of the reserved syrup and stir to blend. Pour peach mixture into an 11 x 7 baking dish.
- In a separate bowl whisk sugar, gluten-free flour, gluten-free baking powder and salt until thoroughly combined. Add remaining 1/4 cup reserved peach syrup, egg, 4 tablespoons of the melted butter (reserve 2 tablespoons to drizzle over batter,) milk and vanilla. Beat until blended.
- Use a tablespoon to evenly spoon batter over peaches. Drizzle reserved melted butter over peaches. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar mixed with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until batter is golden brown.
- Cool before serving -- sauce thickens as cobbler cools. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream - optional.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.