A quiche is always a good choice for a brunch or lunch dish. This ham and Swiss cheese quiche is a classic combination of ingredients. Use a homemade pie crust recipe or a frozen or ready-made refrigerated crust.
The chopped green onions in the cheese quiche are optional. If you don't care for the flavor of Swiss cheese, feel free to use shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese. See the variations for some other ingredient ideas.
- Heat the oven to 375F.
- Prepare the pie pastry with homemade pastry or a refrigerated pie crust. Line a pie plate with the pastry.
- Sprinkle cheese and ham in bottom of pie shell along with green onions, if using.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs with cream, milk, salt, black and cayenne peppers and dry mustard until well blended. Pour the egg mixture into the pie crust over the ham and shredded cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Cut the quiche into wedges to serve.
- Just before baking, top the quiche with thin tomato slices.
- Add about 1/4 cup of finely chopped bell pepper to the pie shell along with the cheese.
- Replace the diced ham with crumbled cooked bacon.
- Add about 1/2 cup of sliced sauteed mushrooms to the quiche along with the ham and cheese.