Looking for the perfect recipe for simple and easy homemade chocolate fudge brownies? You've found it!
These brownies are rich, creamy and decadent, chocolatey and fudgy, just the way homemade brownies should be. The recipe calls for either butter or margarine, eggs, sugar, flour, vanilla, and cocoa, which is all you need in order to make perfect brownies: no more, no less (except for some chopped nuts, if you want to add them in).
Recipe courtesy of the Wheat Foods Council.
- 1 1/4 cups butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 cups chopped nuts (optional, see recipe note below)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F degrees.
- First, melt together the butter or margarine and add in the cocoa; mixing well to combine.
- Once the butter or margarine is melted, transfer to a mixing bowl if needed, then stir in the sugar and blend in the eggs, one at a time. Between each egg, beat well to fully incorporate.
- Once the eggs are all mixed in, add in the vanilla extract and stir to combine well.
- Next, stir in the flour and the optional chopped nuts; mixing to fully combine well.
- Bake in a lightly greased 9 x 13-inch baking pan for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Let your homemade brownies cool on a rack for about 20 to 30 minutes. Once your brownies are fully cooled, you can cut into 20 square pieces.
Recipe Note: Not sure what kind of nuts to use? While chopped walnuts are the traditional chocolate brownie nut, one of the advantages of baking your own treats at home is that you can, of course, add in any kind you like. Do you like Nutella? Add chopped hazelnuts! Or try chopped macadamia nuts (yes, they're expensive, but they're also absolutely delicious). For a more neutral flavor with plenty of crunch, why not try Brazil nuts? Can't decide? Try mixed nuts.