This pita bread is easier than you might think, and the bread makes wonderful sandwiches. It puffs up beautifully, leaving that signature pocket in the center.
Homemade Hamburger Buns Recipe
- Put yeast in 1/4 cup of the warm water; add sugar and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Sift 2 1/2 cups of flour and the salt into a bowl. Form a well in the center; pour in yeast mixture and remaining warm water and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Begin to mix with hand, wooden spoon, or dough hook, adding remaining flour as needed. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for about 10 to 15 minutes (or use the machine and dough hook), until the dough is smooth and soft but not sticky.
- Oil a large bowl; place dough in a bowl and turn to coat the entire surface with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and put the dough in a warm, draft-free place for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 475 F. Place a heavy baking sheet or baking stone on the lowest rack of the oven.
- Roll the dough out, then fold and roll again. Do this a few times to get the air bubbles out of the dough. Divide into balls about 2 1/2 ounces each and cover with a dampened towel.
- Roll each ball into a circle on a lightly floured surface with floured rolling pin, rolling and turning as you would a pie crust. The circles should be about 1/4-inch thick and about 7 inches in diameter.
- Sandwich each dough circle between floured cloths and let them rest while you roll the remaining dough balls.
- Sprinkle the hot baking sheet or baking stone lightly with flour. Place a few of the circles on the stone or baking sheet (or as many as will fit comfortably). Bake for about 2 1/2 minutes, carefully flip them and continue baking for about 2 1/2 minutes longer, or until they just begin to show some color.
- Remove and cover with a clean dish towel until cooled. Place in food storage bags.
Makes about 10 pita breads.
You Might Also Like
Soft Onion Rolls
Crusty French Bread (bread machine)