This whipped cream recipe only takes about 10 minutes to prepare. The important thing is to use the right time of cream and to make sure your bowl and beaters are very cold. You can't make whipped cream with milk, half and half or light cream. They don't have a high enough fat content to thicken when whipped. Use heavy cream, whipping cream or double cream - basically anything that has a fat content of 30% or higher - for this recipe.
- 2 cups cold heavy cream (whipping cream or double cream)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Place a stainless steel mixing bowl (compare prices) and the beaters of your electric mixer or a wire whisk (whichever you plan to use to whip the cream) in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Remove them both from the freezer, and pour the cream into the bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, then gradually increase speed, beating until the cream becomes thick. This will take anywhere from 5 to 8 minutes or so. You can also use a wire whisk and beat the cream by hand, but, of course, it will take quite a bit longer.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Continue whipping the cream until it reaches the desired consistency.
You can store this homemade whipped cream in the refrigerator in an airtight container for one week.