This is a simple to make recipe for honey-mustard sauce for ham. It adds tons of great flavors to ham. Use it as a dip or a glaze for your next ham dinner.
Tips For Preparing a Ham
Ready to make an epic ham? While you may think it only involves heating up the meat, there is more that goes into preparing a flavorful, juicy ham. These tips can help:
- Go for maximum flavor. Check the label to make sure the ham has no added juices or water. The label should just read "ham." You want to avoid one with "water added" or "natural juices." These can dilute the natural flavor profile of the meat.
- Buy the right type of ham. The type of ham roast you see on holiday tables is known as a city ham. These are pre-cooked and can be smoked. Make sure the label says "ready to eat."
- Heat it low and slow. To cook the ham, place it cut-side down in a baking pan. Then cover it with foil until it is time to glaze the surface. Some people add some wine or water to the pan to add a little moisture, which can escape when the ham is in the oven for an extended amount of time.
- Glaze it -- but at the right time. After the ham is heating a while and it is about 120F, turn the heat up higher. Brush the ham with glaze and then bake for about 10 minutes. After that, glaze it again and broil the ham for a few minutes until it caramelizes and the skin crisps. (Keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn.) Glazing should take about 15 minutes in all, and is only done at the end of the cooking process.
- Combine mustard and honey in a bowl, mixing thoroughly.
- Place alongside ham as a dip, or glaze the ham before, during or after baking with this mixture.
Another Way to Make Honey Mustard Sauce
Try this variation of the sauce:
- You can also try this is a homemade honey mustard combination made with Dijon and yellow mustard, along with honey.
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup French's prepared mustard
- 1/4 cup Honey
- Mix ingredients together until well blended; refrigerate. Makes 3/4 cup of spicy honey mustard.
Note: This sauce goes great with a variety of appetizers including chicken strips.