This simple cabbage and apple combination makes a flavorful side dish. The casserole is layered with buttery bread crumbs before baking. This casserole is bound to become a favorite homecooked dish!
- 1 medium head cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups apples, sliced, peeled
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup of fine bread crumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- Drop chopped cabbage in boiling water and cook 3 to 5 minutes, until slightly tender but still crunchy. Drain well.
- Layer cabbage and apples in a 2-quart casserole, sprinkling sugar and bread crumbs on each layer.
- Pat top layer flat before adding last crumbs.
- Pour melted butter over top of casserole.
- Cover and bake at 350 F For 45 minutes, or until hot throughout.
- Remove cover during last 15 minutes.
To add a little extra flavor to the dish, try adding a bit of cinnamon or cumin.
Both add something unique to this simple dish.