This is probably the most delicious pasta dish on the planet. Macaroni bechamel is very popular in Egypt and is exactly what the name says it is: macaroni in a bechamel sauce.
Some people like to use elbow noodles for this recipe, however, I like to use ziti or rigatoni. This is a very easy and simplified version of an Egyptian favorite.
- 1 lb elbows, ziti, or rigatoni
- 2 26 oz. jars traditional pasta sauce
- 1 lb.
- lean ground beef or turkey
- 3 cups bechamel (see recipe below)
- 8-10 ounces of cheddar, mozzarella, romano, or parmigiano reggiano cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Start by bringing water to a boil on the stovetop for pasta. While waiting for water to boil, begin browning ground beef in large frying pan.
- When you place pasta in boiling water, reduce heat to medium. Begin bechamel with cheese.
- Once beef is done browning, drain, and add pasta sauce. Simmer on low. Drain pasta, cover, and set aside. Cover bechamel and leave on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Pour meat sauce in 9x12 dish. Cover with bechamel. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving. Serve with a green salad.