01 of 09
1:48 scale, where 1/4 inch equals one foot is a popular dollhouse miniature scale similar in size to the "O" scale used for model railroads. An active online community celebrate building miniatures in this scale via The Quarter Connection. As the scale becomes more popular, the range of miniatures is increasing steadily, with a wide range of figures and accessories appearing online and at miniature shows.
02 of 09
Build a Simple Quarter Scale "Stone" Cottage with a Loft
Use the included cutting diagram to make a simple open back quarter scale cottage suitable for a model village. This is an easy to build project based on using illustration board or bookboard or foam core board and air dry clay. The cottages can be made smaller or larger, with different exterior finishes to suit a range of periods and areas.
03 of 09
While not built in any particular scale, this simple stone tower can be added to small scale buildings or used as a stand alone piece for a gaming terrain.
04 of 09
If you need to produce a fast building in 1:48 scale, this two storey shop is made by printing the parts on photo paper or lightweight card. Interior finishes are also provided as printables. With a finished front and open back, the interior is easily accessible for a small two room display.
This project is a good way to test whether quarter scale is a size that will fit into your collection, or whether the scale is too small for you to work with comfortably. With a wide range of railroad figures... and accessories available in "0" scale, which is a similar size to quarter scale, this is a size which works well for integrating railroads and furnished buildings.Continue to 5 of 9 below.
05 of 09
Printable Quarter Scale Teacup Scenes
These projects are designed to be fitted into a teacup and saucer. They include printables in a range of colors for the siding, doors, windows and other pieces. You can add items to the interiors, or back the windows or doors with illustrations from magazines to make faux interior views. They can also be used with other containers including small boxes.
- Make a Quarter Scale Front Porch Scene
- Make a Quarter Scale Beach Shop and Pier in a Teacup
06 of 09
07 of 09
Quarter Scale Furniture Projects
There are a range of ways to make tiny furnishings for quarter scale scenes. Several companies, including the ones with reviews listed below sell cast resin or laser cut furnishings. I've also posted small scale projects to give you the opportunity to experiment with techniques for making miniature furniture. The Printable Halloween Armchair and Coffee Table give you a method for making simple furnishings from paper, while the Quarter Scale Bakery Case uses wood veneer as a base for the... furniture
08 of 09
This gallery outlines the steps taken to build and finish the Tudor Markland Market Hall kit from Geoff Lewis of Small Scale Miniature and The Village Wheelwright. Many of the finishing and assembly tips can be applied to working with other quarter scale buildings and kits.Continue to 9 of 9 below.
09 of 09
Sources for Quarter Scale Kits and Accessories
An increasing number of suppliers are including 1:48 scale accessories in their regular miniature lines. There are also several specialist suppliers.
- Young at Heart make quarter scale buildings and accessories including resin furniture.
- Petite Properties make house kits as well as quarter and half scale furniture kits and books for making quarter and half scale furniture from card
- Grandt Line produce some fanciful miniature buildings in 1:48 scale as well as a wonderful range of architectural... details used for quarter scale scratch built buildings.
- BPF is the inexpensive brown plastic furniture often modified for quarter scale interiors.
- Sue Herber in Washington State is one of the pioneers of the scale and produces a range of kits, furniture and accessories.
- Suzanne and Andrew's Miniatures specialize in custom designed kits for everyday and fanciful house and building designs and furnishings in quarter scale.
- Karen Cary's Miniatures features quarter scale kits for furniture and buildings as well as accessories.
- Karen Benson's "The Quarter Source" has kits for furnishings as well as roomboxes and buildings in 1:48 scale.
- Robin Betterley produces a range of small scale kits, including the Miss Lydia Pickett Collection
- BJ Miniatures make a range of houses, furniture and accessories for quarter scale.
- Petworth Miniatures Quarter scale furniture and building kits, accessories and parts by Gayle Baillargeon
- Stewart Dollhouse Creations have a range of carefully cut laser kits and cast resin accessories for quarter scale.
The quarter scale projects in this list are easily made from regular household materials or art supplies. Some projects explore working with commercially available quarter scale kits, others are built from scratch or using printables.