This recipe works as well with frozen berries as it does fresh, in-season berries that can include raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, marionberries, gooseberries and others. Let your taste be your guide.
- 1 1/2 cups raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries (fresh or frozen, sliced)
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 3/4 to 1 cup sugar (to taste)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (to taste)
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries, 1 cup fresh or frozen sliced strawberries, 3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, 3/4 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, and bring to a simmer over medium heat until sugar has dissolved, about 10 minutes. Adjust sugar, adding up to 1/4 cup more (or to taste) if necessary, and cook until dissolved.
- Purée the berry mixture in a blender or food processor and return to the saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add an additional 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste, if necessary.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries, 1/2 cup fresh or frozen sliced strawberries and 1/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, and simmer until sauce is hot. Sauce can be served hot or cold.
More Fruit Sauce Recipes
- Blueberry Sauce Recipe: This fresh blueberry sauce is a good foil for desserts, pancakes, waffles and French toast, and even with game meats like venison.
- Easy Raspberry Sauce Recipe: This easy raspberry sauce is made with frozen berries in syrup and a splash of liqueur. It's a no-cook recipe that can be made up to three days in advance and stored, covered, in the refrigerator.
- Easy Orange Sauce Recipe: This easy orange sauce can actually be made with any citrus fruit -- oranges, tangerines, lemon, lime grapefruit. Although the sugar will need to be adjusted for the last three. The sauce comes together with only three ingredients and should be served warm -- perfect for French toast, bread puddings, pound cakes, Bundt cakes, blintzes and other desserts.
- Easy Fresh Strawberry Sauce Recipe: Here's another fruit sauce recipe made with fresh berries -- strawberries and only three other ingredients. It's terrific on ice cream, crepes, pancakes, waffles, sponge cakes, pound cakes, and other desserts. If push comes to shove, it can be made with frozen strawberries, but fresh from the farmer's market are so much better. Here are More Dessert Sauce Recipes