This easy mushroom sauce is excellent with steak or roast beef. Use sliced button or crimini (baby bella) mushrooms in this recipe.
- Sauté mushrooms in butter and oil for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally; add red wine and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add beef broth and simmer to reduce a bit, about 5 minutes.
- Combine flour and cold water and whisk until smooth.
- Stir into the mushrooms until well blended.
- Season to taste and simmer for about 1 minute, until thickened. If too thick, add a little more broth.
- Add parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
Makes about 1 1/2 to 2 cups.