01 of 07
How to Make an Easy Origami Butterfly
Learn how to make a sweet little origami butterfly with this easy origami tutorial!
This model is a traditional origami model, This paper butterfly has such a simple but elegant look.
These paper butterflies would make great wall decorations as well as embellishments on handmade cards, scrapbooks and even the finishing touch on gift wrapping!
For a bold look use solid coloured paper or for an elegant japanese look, try to find some authentic washi paper, such as this one on Amazon.
You will need one... sheet of square paper for each origami butterfly. You could also use other types of paper, such as newspaper, music sheets or wrapping paper to make these if you don't have any fancy origami paper in your house.Continue to 2 of 7 below.
02 of 07
Easy Origami Butterfly Tutorial - Step 1
Tip: Make your folds as crisp and clean as possible. Don't over do the folding, you don't want your paper to rip!
Start off with your paper white side up if your paper has one! This will make sure that your butterfly is coloured when it's done.
1. Start by folding diagonally both ways.
2. Fold the paper in half both ways.
3. Now you need to fold all four corners into the center.
4. This is what you should have.Continue to 3 of 7 below.
03 of 07
Easy Origami Butterfly Tutorial - Step 2
5. Flip the model over.
6. Fold all four corners into the center.
7. Unfold the previous step.
Flip the model over to the other side.
8. Unfold the paper.
9. This is what you should have now.Continue to 4 of 7 below.
04 of 07
Easy Origami Butterfly Tutorial - Step 3
10. Fold the right side into the center.
11. Fold the left side to the center too.
12. Holding the paper in the center, pull the right flap out to the right.
13. Pull the left flap out in the same way.
14. Flatten the top section.Continue to 5 of 7 below.
05 of 07
Easy Origami Butterfly Tutorial - Step 4
15. Do the same for the bottom section.
16. This is what you should have now.
17. Fold the top section behind.
18. Flatten the model.Continue to 6 of 7 below.
06 of 07
Easy Origami Butterfly Tutorial - Step 5
19. Flip the right layer down.
20. Flip the left flap down.
21. Fold a small section inwards where indicated.
22. Fold the model in half to the right.Continue to 7 of 7 below.
07 of 07
Easy Origami Butterfly Tutorial - Step 6
23. Fold a small section over where shown.
24. Unfold the back layer to the left.
25. Reverse fold the left side of the fold you just created.
26. This is what the underside looks like.
Hopefully you now have a pretty origami butterfly!
If it came out not so great, just give it another go, make sure your folds are precise and you will do better the second time around.
If you had any trouble folding this origami butterfly, check out this quick video tutorial.