This easy penuche frosting is cooked on the stovetop for just a few minutes. The frosting has a fudgy texture, and it is fabulous on a butter pecan cake or spice cake.
Spread it on these butternut squash cupcakes or brown sugar cupcakes. If the frosting is too firm, add a little hot water. To smooth the frosting, dip your spatula or knife in hot water as you spread.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar, more or less
- hot water, optional
- In a saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter. Add the brown sugar. Bring to a boil and lower heat to medium-low. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the milk and bring back to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture cool to lukewarm.
- Gradually add sifted confectioners' sugar while beating until thick enough to spread. If too thick, add a little hot water.
- Makes enough frosting to cover the top and sides of a 2-layer cake or a 13x9-inch cake.
You Might Also Like