This potato casserole is a nice alternative to scalloped potatoes or plain boiled or mashed potatoes. The cream cheese and chives make a rich and delicious dish.
The potatoes are briefly cooked in boiling water, then they're baked with the easy cream cheese and chive sauce. Add some diced cooked bacon to the cheese mixture or top the casserole with shredded cheese or buttered bread crumbs just before it's done.
- 4 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives, fresh or frozen, plus more for garnish, if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon instant dried minced onion
- Dash paprika
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Cook potatoes with 1 teaspoon salt in boiling water to cover 15 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Place cooked potatoes in a shallow, lightly buttered 2-quart casserole.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk and cream cheese, stirring until cheese has melted. Add the chives, salt, pepper, and dried onion; pour over potatoes.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with paprika and more chives, if desired.
Potato casserole serves 4 to 6.
- Crumb Topping: Combine 1 cup of fresh bread crumbs with 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Toss to coat the crumbs thoroughly. Sprinkle the crumbs over the casserole just before it goes into the oven.
- Sprinkle with about 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese about 10 minutes before the casserole is done.
You Might Also Like