These quick pickled onions are great when you want to add a little zing to a roast, burgers, sandwiches, beans, or steaks. They are wonderful for fish tacos or turkey burgers. The possibilities are endless!
They take just a few minutes to prepare and they add both flavor and color to a meal. All you need is some red wine vinegar, a little sugar, and crushed red pepper flakes. Use apple cider vinegar if you don't have red wine vinegar.
- 1 medium red onion, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white or red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- dash crushed red pepper, optional
- Pack the onion slices into a half-pint canning jar or another 1-cup container.
- Put the remaining ingredients into a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from the heat. Let the hot liquid cool slightly if you aren't using a heatproof canning jar. Pour the hot liquid over the onion and let stand until cooled.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Serve quick pickled onions with fish tacos, pulled pork or chicken, turkey or beef burgers, or sandwiches.
Makes 1 cup.
- Give the onions a few hours at room temperature of in the refrigerator for best flavor.
- Some optional additions: 4 or 5 allspice berries, a small dried chili pepper (instead of crushed red pepper flakes), or a few sprigs of thyme.
You Might Also Like