This classic creamy oyster dish is a snap to prepare, and it is scrumptious. A little heavy cream and butter make it rich and delicious.
- Heat the oven to 375 F (190 C/Gas 5). Lightly butter a 1 1/2 to 2-quart casserole dish.
- Set aside 1/3 cup of cracker crumbs and 1 tablespoons of butter for the topping.
- Cover the bottom of the prepared baking dish with some of the cracker crumbs then top with a layer of oysters, a layer of crumbs, and some of the butter pieces. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Repeat layers until all oysters are used.
- Stir the nutmeg and 4 tablespoons of the reserved oyster liquor into the cream. Pour the cream over the dish then top with the 1/3 cup of reserved crumbs and butter.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until heated through and browned. Serve immediately.
- *If you're using freshly shucked oysters, it will take about 4 dozen to make a quart, for 4 servings. Be sure to strain the juices into a bowl as you shuck them.
You Might Also Like