In this scalloped potato recipe, the potatoes are slightly cooked for faster baking. The creamy cheese sauce takes just a few minutes to prepare and can be made with or without the chives. Use parsley in the sauce if you prefer, or saute 3 to 4 tablespoons of sliced green onions in the butter before you add the garlic and flour.
I make the potatoes with cheddar cheese, but you could use a cheddar jack blend or a blend of cheddar and American cheese. See the tips and variations for more add-in ideas and substitutions.
Serve these easy scalloped potatoes with pork chops, roast beef, or just about any meat or chicken dish.
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh snipped fresh chives, optional
- salt and pepper, to taste
Heat oven to 350 F.
Lightly butter a 2-quart baking dish.
In a medium saucepan, cover potatoes with water. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat to medium low, and continue boiling for 5 minutes. Transfer the potatoes to a colander to drain.
In the same saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat. Add garlic and let cook for about 30 seconds. Add the flour and stir until smooth and well blended. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes to cook the flour.
Gradually stir in the milk and continue cooking, stirring, until thickened. Stir in cheese, chives (or use parsley), and salt and pepper, to taste.
Arrange potatoes in the buttered baking dish. Gently stir in the cheese sauce. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
Tips and Variations
- Add about 1 cup of diced ham to the sauce.
- Sprinkle extra shredded cheese over the top of the potatoes just before they're done baking. Bake until the topping has melted or increase the oven to broil to brown the cheese topping.
- For au gratin potatoes, toss 1 cup of soft bread crumbs with 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Sprinkle over the potatoes before they go into the oven.
- Saute 1/2 cup of chopped onion and 1/4 cup of diced green bell pepper in the butter. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Add the flour and continue with the recipe.
- Use half Gruyere cheese with the cheddar in the recipe, or use American cheese with the cheddar.
- For a thicker sauce, use 4 tablespoons of butter and 4 tablespoons of flour.
You Might Also Like