This recipe for scones is really easy to make and the scones are light, flaky and buttery. It's a basic recipe made with dried currants, which is simple and classic. But there are endless variations.
One key thing with making scones is that it's important to work the dough as little as possible, otherwise, the glutens in the flour will overdevelop and the resulting scones will be too hard.
Another very common baking mistake is using old baking powder, and then wondering why your scones or cake or whatever didn't rise. This happens all the time, and it's unfortunate because it's such an easy problem to avoid.
If the baking powder in your pantry is more than six months old, replace it. And if you can't remember how old it is, replace it. Baking powder loses its potency quickly, and your scones won't rise properly if it's too old. Fortunately, a fresh container of baking powder is really inexpensive.
Also see: How to Make Scones
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prepare your baking sheet pan by greasing it with butter or shortening or lining it with parchment paper. Or use a silicone baking mat, which is my favorite technique.
- Beat one of the eggs along with a tablespoon of water in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles large crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, beat the remaining two eggs and stir in the cream. Then stir the egg-cream mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir in the currants.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board and press it together into a single lump. If it doesn't hold together yet, add more cream, a tablespoon at a time, until it does. Don't overwork the dough, though.
- Roll the dough out to a thickness of 1 inch. Cut into rounds with a round or fluted pastry cutter. Or you could cut the dough into triangular wedges, which will reduce the amount of scraps you end up with.
- Arrange the scones on your prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops of the scones with the egg white, and transfer the pan to the oven. Bake 15 minutes or until golden.