This super easy skillet cabbage recipe is made with just a few seasonings and a little vinegar. This is an excellent side dish for a ham meal, or serve the easy cabbage with corned beef, pork roast or chops, or sausages. The combination of vinegar and a small amount of sugar gives the cabbage a sweet-sour taste.
This dish takes less than 30 minutes, start to finish.
Crumbled bacon would be delicious in this cabbage dish as well, or add a little leftover diced ham.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt (see a quick homemade blend below)
- 1 medium head cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- In a large skillet or sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Stir in the seasoned salt, cabbage, and onion.
- Cook, covered, over medium heat for 15 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Blend vinegar and sugar; add to cabbage mixture. Stir gently to blend ingredients.
- Cook the cabbage for about 5 minutes longer, or to desired doneness.
Serve this easy cabbage with braised or grilled sausages, pork chops, ham, or a pork roast.
Add mashed or boiled potatoes and crusty bread for a satisfying family meal.
Tips and Variations
- Add cooked crumbled bacon to the cabbage or diced cooked and sauteed ham.
- Add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds, if desired.
- Quick Seasoned Salt Blend: Combine 2 tablespoons of salt with 1 teaspoon of paprika, 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper, and a dash of garlic powder.
You Might Also Like