This wonderful coconut cake is one of our favorite Southern cakes. It's moist, delicious, and perfect for any occasion. The rich coconut filling and frosting are what makes the cake so delicious, and it is unbelievably easy to make with a cake mix.
If you can't find frozen coconut, check your local Walmart Supercenter. Walmart online will show the stores where frozen coconut may be available.
- 1 cake mix, butter flavor, about 18 1/2 ounces (with oil, eggs, etc. as called for on the package)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 packages (6 ounces each) frozen coconut, thawed*
- 1 1/2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Prepare cake mix following the package directions, baking it in two 8-inch layers. Cool completely and carefully split each layer horizontally. (See below)
- In a bowl, combine the granulated sugar, sour cream, and coconut; blend well and chill.
- Reserve 1 cup sour cream mixture for the frosting and set aside. Spread the remaining sour cream mixture between the two cake layers.
- Combine the reserved 1 cup sour cream mixture with the 1 1/2 cups whipped topping; blend until smooth.
- Spread the whipped topping and sour cream mixture over top and on sides of coconut cake.
- Keep the coconut cake in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator.
*Walmart Supercenter) stores generally carry a frozen coconut (Birds Eye brand). Check Walmart online to see if your local Walmart store carries it.
How to Split a Cake Layer: Remove the cooled cake from the pan. Using a ruler, find the middle point of the cake and place about a dozen toothpicks all around the cake. Alternate a piece of dental floss over and under the toothpicks. Cross the ends of the floss and gradually pull both ends to slice the cake in half horizontally. Alternatively, use a serrated knife to carefully split the cake after marking the midpoint with toothpicks.
You Might Also Like