The Spanish have used almonds in desserts and sauces or centuries. Everything from St. James cake, and bienmesabe (Spanish almond cream), to polvorones and panellets cookies.
Almendrados are Spanish almond cookies, which are very simple to make and make a light, sweet dessert, or snack. Many Spanish prepare them at Christmas, too. Egg whites are beaten to a stiff peak, then sugar, egg yolks, and ground almonds are mixed together and baked.
- 1 lb almonds (ground)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- zest of 1 lemon
- Heat oven to 360F (180C) degrees.
- Grate the lemon peel, avoiding the white part of the peel because it is bitter.
- Separate the yolks from the egg whites. In a small glass or ceramic mixing bowl, beat the egg whites to a stiff peak.
- Place the egg whites into a medium mixing bowl, and gently stir in the egg yolks. (No need to mix thoroughly.)
- Add the granulated sugar, lemon zest, ground almonds, and optionally the cinnamon, mixing thoroughly.
- Using your hands, shape the cookies into mounds or pyramids and place on a greased cookie sheet, or one covered in parchment paper.
- Bake in an oven on center rack for approximately 15 minutes until cookies turn a golden color.
- Remove from oven and gently loosen the cookies using a spatula. Allow to cool on a rack.
Note: Remove quickly from baking sheet. Do not allow cookies to cool completely on the cookie sheet because once cooled, they will harden and become brittle (and will crumble when you attempt to remove them.)
Store in a tightly covered container or tin.
More Spanish Almond Desserts
- Mallorcan Almond Cake Recipe - Gató de Almendras Mallorquin, a traditional cake from Mallorca
- Pantxineta Recipe - Basque Pastry Cream Pie with Almonds, a sweet cream-filled pie topped with almond slivers
- Spanish Fardelejos Recipe - Almond-Filled Pastry from La Rioja, little pocket pastries filled with almonds and liqueur
- Alfajores de Medina Sidonia Recipe, Andalucian Delicacy, popular at Christmas
- Saints Bones Recipe - Huesos de Santo, traditionally eaten for All Saints Day
- Panellets Recipe - Catalan Almond Sweets, traditional Catalan sweet eaten on All Saints Day
- Murcian Almond Cookie Recipe- Galletas Murcianas, simple almond cookies
- Chocolate and Almond Cake Recipe - Pastel de Chocolate y Almendras, a rich and almost flourless cake
- Spanish Almond Cream Recipe - Bienmesabe, sweet and creamy sauce that is perfect on top of cake or ice cream