Looking for a quick, mid-week chicken recipe? This Spanish style chicken with tomato sauce recipe is a go-to meal when we want something simple, fast and delicious!
First, you'll make a Spanish sofrito of canned crushed tomatoes, onions, mushrooms and pepper. Next, boneless, skinless chicken breast is pan-fried with Spanish olive oil. Finally, you have to combine all together for a quick and easy Spanish main course. Serve the chicken with tomato sauce with Spanish-style homemade french fries or rice on the side. This chicken in tomato sauce recipe serves four as a main dish, and six as a tapa.
Leftovers? No problem. The tomato sauce mellows and tastes even better the next day!
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 red or green bell pepper (diced)
- 10 white mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes that have been washed and pulsed in a food processor)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 boneless (approx. 1 lb.), skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup virgin Spanish olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Peel and chop the onion and bell pepper. Then peel and mince the garlic and finally wipe the mushrooms with a damp cloth, trim the stems and slice mushrooms.
- Pour about half of the olive oil into a large frying pan and heat over medium heat. Add the onion, pepper, garlic, and mushrooms and sauté over medium heat, stirring often until onions become translucent (about 7 minutes).
- Add the crushed tomatoes and bay leaves and stir. Simmer on medium to medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring often. If sauce becomes too thick or begins to stick, pour in a few tablespoons of water.
- While the tomato sauce mixture is cooking, pour the other half of the olive oil into a large frying pan and heat over a medium flame. Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towels and season on both sides with salt and pepper. Pan fry the chicken in the hot oil, turning over twice (for about 10 minutes). The chicken should be well-browned on both sides, but may not be completely cooked in the center, it will finish off when added to the sauce.
- After pan frying the chicken, remove the pan from the heat. Slice the chicken breasts into thick slices (about 1/2-inch) and place in pan with tomato sauce. Stir to coat chicken breasts in tomato sauce. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Taste and add salt as needed.
Serve this chicken with tomato sauce with rice or potatoes; both are good for sopping up the delicious sauce! Make Spanish french fries as the perfect side dish.