Stuffed grape leaves are delicious and are such a comfort food. When my grandmother makes them(see her stuffed grape leaves recipe), the ingredient list is a mile long with all sorts of spices. I have created a simpler version for those who don't have a lot of time. This recipe is easy and will have your guests begging for the recipe.
- Soak grape leaves in cold water for 2-3 hours. Jarred grape leaves are very salty from the brine solution.
- Rinse and drain in a colander. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Mix well with hands.
- Place a grape leaf side down. Place about 1 to 2 tablespoons of mixture in the middle.
- Fold in the sides and roll upward. Think of rolling a burrito, only smaller.
- When you have rolled the last leaf, place a heavy plate on top of the stuffed grape leaves in your pan. I use a ceramic plate. This helps keep the grape leaves in place during cooking so they don't shift around.
- Fill pan with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 30-45 minutes until rice and meat are done.