This is an easy sweet potato casserole recipe made with a rich, buttery filling and crunchy brown sugar and pecan topping. It's a classic sweetened sweet potato casserole, perfect for a holiday feast or special family dinner.
If you love marshmallows on your sweet potato casserole, sprinkle some miniature marshmallows over the top about 10 to 15 minutes before the casserole is done.
- 3 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes (see below for how to cook)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (12 tablespoons) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Crunchy Brown Sugar Pecan Topping
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, light or dark
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4). Butter a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Put the hot mashed sweet potatoes in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl beat the eggs with the granulated sugar and 3/4 cup of softened butter. Add the milk and vanilla; blend well.
- Transfer the beaten egg and butter to the bowl with the mashed sweet potatoes; blend well. Spoon the mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- In a bowl combine the brown sugar, flour, 2 tablespoons softened butter, and the chopped pecans. Mix with your fingers until crumbly; sprinkle over sweet potatoes.
- Bake the sweet potato casserole in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- To cook fresh sweet potatoes, slice them and boil them in about 2 inches of water for about 12 to 14 minutes. Or, with a fork, prick the unpeeled sweet potatoes in several places and bake them on a foil-lined baking sheet at 425 F for about 45 minutes.
- If you happen to use canned sweet potatoes, rinse off the excess syrup before you mash them, and add the eggs last. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl and set them aside. In another bowl beat about half of the granulated sugar with 3/4 cup of softened butter, the milk, and vanilla, and then beat the mixture into the sweet potatoes. Taste and add more sugar, if necessary. Add the beaten eggs, blend well, and proceed with the recipe.
- Add 1 to 2 cups of miniature marshmallows to the top of the casserole about 15 minutes before it's done.
- Use part brown sugar in the filling along with granulated sugar if you like.
- Pecans are traditional, but walnuts may be substituted.
- Add 1/2 cup of coconut to the pecan topping.
Sweet Potato Side Dish Recipes