Tofu scramble is a popular vegan breakfast dish similar to scrambled eggs. Although this recipe calls for onions and green peppers, try adding some mock meat crumbles, or experiment with different vegetable combinations, such as spinach, mushrooms and green onions. The possibilities for tofu scramble are endless! Try a curried tofu scramble with spinach or this cayenne spicy tofu scramble. Wrap in a flour tortilla for an easy breakfast burrito.
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 block tofu, drained and pressed
- 2 tbsp oil or margarine
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (optional)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- First, prepare your tofu. Like most tofu recipes, tofu scramble will taste best if you press the tofu first. This allows the tofu to absorb more of the flavorings and seasonings which you add to it. It's an extra step, but it just takes a few minutes. Not sure how to press tofu? See this easy step-by-step guide: How to press tofu.
- Once your tofu is well pressed, slice the tofu into approximately one inch cubes. Then, using either your hands or a fork, crumble it slightly to get the consistency you like for your scrambled tofu.
- Next, heat the oil or margarine in a large skillet or frying pan and sautee the chopped onion, pepper and crumbled tofu for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Next, add the garlic powder, onion powder and soy sauce and reduce the heat down to medium. Allow your tofu to cook 5-7 more minutes, stirring frequently and adding a bit more oil if needed. Finally, add the nutritional yeast and stir to combine well and make sure that your tofu is well coated.
- To serve your tofu scramble, you can eat it just as it is, top it off with salsa or wrap it up in a warmed flour tortilla with a bit of salsa for a breakfast burrito or top with soy or dairy cheese.
Makes two servings of tofu scramble.
Nutrition Facts (from Calorie Count):
One serving provides approximately:
Calories: 365, Calories from Fat: 220
Total Fat: 24.5g, 18%
Total Carbohydrates: 18.9g, 6% Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%
Sodium: 484mg, 20%
Dietary Fiber: 4.8g, 19%
Vitamin A 19%, Vitamin C 100%, Calcium 39%, Iron 33%, Based on a 2000 calorie diet