This is an easy homemade vegan pumpkin pie recipe. It's a quick, simple, dairy-free and vegan version of the classic pumpkin pie recipe, using tofu as a binder instead of eggs. Sounds too good to be true, doesn't it? Vegan pumpkin pie with tofu is perfect for a vegan Thanksgiving or Halloween, but easy enough to whip up anytime you're craving pumpkin pie.
If you've never tried making pie with tofu as a base, fear not. It really is super easy, super quick, and super delicious, and, believe it or not, won't actually taste the tofu at all. The tofu just serves as a base to carry all the other flavors, including the pumpkin, and those fantastic fall spices: ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla.
Scroll down for more vegan pumpkin pie recipes, or, for something truly impressive, try this vegan pumpkin cheesecake for the perfect vegan Thanksgiving dessert.
- 3/4 pound silken tofu
- 1 16 oz. can pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp. ginger
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. molasses
- 1 pre-made pie crust
- First, pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Next, place the silken tofu and the pumpkin puree in a food processor or blender, and process until smooth. Next, add in the ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, oil, vanilla, brown sugar and molasses and process again until smooth.
- Pour this mixture into a prepared pie crust (I like to use store-bought graham cracker crusts as there are many vegan brands available).
- Bake your pumpkin pie in the oven for one hour.
- Chill before serving and top with whipped cream or non-dairy whipped cream if desired.
Now, wasn't that just as easy as promised? And wait until you taste it! It will seem too good to be true!
If your pumpkin pie still doesn't seem to want to firm up, reduce your oven temperature to about 225 F, and leave it in another ten to fifteen minutes. Remove the pie, allow it to cool slightly then stick in the refrigerator until it is completely cool. Then, stick it in the freezer for about twenty minutes.
Recipe tip: How long have those spices been sitting in the back of your cupboard? For the most vibrant flavor, you should use fresh spices. It might be time to hit the grocery store and pick up some new and fresh cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
Want to browse a few more recipes? Here's some more vegan ways to prepare a classic pumpkin pie:
- Vegan Chocolate Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- Gluten-free Vegan Pumpkin Pie
- Vegan pumpkin pie with cloves and allspice
Looking for vegetarian Thanksgiving menu ideas for dinner, including vegetarian and vegan sides, gravies, stuffing and dessert? Visit our complete guide to vegetarian Thanksgivings.