Although this quick and easy vegetable posole soup recipe is both vegetarian and vegan, traditional Mexican posole soup is almost never vegetarian! Which means that even though this meat-free posole recipe may not be quite as authentic as others, you'll find that the powerfully spicy combination of peppers, hominy, chili powder and cumin along with plenty of onions and garlic in a tomato-based broth lends a hearty and satisfying and authentic Mexican flavor. And, if you're in doubt, just add in a few dabs of your favorite homemade hot sauce! Or, add a couple bay leaves in for extra flavor and remove them just before serving.
Be sure you have some extra toppings for serving your posole soup as well. Shredded cabbage, lime and radish are traditional, as are chili peppers or hot sauce, and I like avocado slices for cooling and balancing the flavors as well. Enjoy!
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 carrots, sliced or grated
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15 ounce can hominy
- 1 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper, or to taste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Other optional garnishes: shredded cabbage, lime wedges, thinly sliced radishes, and avocado slices
First, in a large soup or stock pot, simmer together the minced garlic, diced onion and sliced carrots in the water for a few minutes over medium high heat, until the onions are soft. Add in the vegetable broth and allow to simmer for another 5 or 6 minutes or so, until the carrots are soft.
Next, add in the can of hominy, the crushed tomatoes, chopped bell pepper, cumin, salt, pepper and chili powder and give it all a quick stir to combine.
Bring it all to a boil then reduce the heat to medium low and allow to simmer all together, covered, for at least 20 minutes minimum and up to 30 or 35 minutes.
Just before serving, or when placed into individual bowls, garnish your vegetarian posole with a bit of chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.
Posole is traditionally served topped with a few other garnishes as well. Or, instead of topping off the serving bowl with these optional garnishes, arrange a plate of garnishes and allow everyone to add their own to their individual soup bowls.
Like making homemade vegetarian soups? Here's more vegetarian and vegan soup recipes you'll want to try:
- 4 ways to make a simple Japanese miso soup at home
- Gluten-free and vegan soup recipes
- Nine Fat-free Vegan Soup Recipes
- Low-fat vegetarian bean soup recipes - high in protein and low in fat
- 7 vegetarian tomato soup recipes from simple to gourmet
- Most popular vegetarian soup recipes of all time
- 7 easy soups to make in your crockpot