This wilted baby spinach is wonderful as-is, but it can also act as a blank slate for add-ins. For garlic flavor, add fresh sliced or minced garlic to the butter before you add the spinach. Alternatively, cook shallots in the butter along with the garlic. Fresh lemon juice and finely grated zest may be added. For crunch and texture, consider toasting some pine nuts or slivered almonds and toss them to the spinach before serving. The possibilities are endless!
This is easy to double for 8 people. Use 2 pounds of spinach and 5 to 6 tablespoons butter.
- 1 pound baby spinach, cleaned
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat butter in a heavy skillet over medium-low heat until foamy.
- When foam dies down, add the spinach.
- Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes, just until tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.