Bread pudding has long been a favorite comfort food, and it's a delicious way to use day-old bread.
This bread pudding recipe has the flavors of egg custard with bread pudding texture. Add some raisins to the mixture if you'd like.
The pictured bread pudding was made with cinnamon swirl bread and a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar instead of nutmeg.
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups milk, warm
- 8 slices white bread, crusts removed if desired
- Whisk together the eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla; add the warm milk.
- Cut bread in half diagonally, forming triangles. Arrange 2 layers of bread slices in a lightly buttered 8-inch square baking dish.
- Pour the custard mixture over the bread.
- Place the 8-inch baking dish in a larger baking dish containing about 1/2 to 1 inch of very hot water.
- Bake at 325° for 40 to 50 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm or cool with dessert sauce, syrup, or fruit.
Cinnamon Custard Bread Pudding Variation: Use cinnamon swirl bread and omit the nutmeg. Sprinkle the custard mixture with cinnamon sugar just before baking.