Like apple cider and hot chocolate, egg nog is a holiday drink that many people look forward to each year. Perhaps it's nostalgia. Perhaps its the warming spices, heavy cream or alcohol. Whatever the reason, egg nog is incredibly popular at many holiday gatherings. Here are a few of the many variations on egg nog recipes that you can serve during the holidays:
Rum Egg Nog Recipes
Rum is one of the most common liquors for spiking egg nog.
These recipes spike egg nog with rum and rum alone. For egg nogs with multiple spirits, see "Other Spiked Egg Nog Recipes," below.
- Cooked Eggnog can be made with or without rum.
- Rum Holiday Egg Nog uses Mount Gay rum, almond extract, vanilla extract, nutmeg and cinnamon for a warming flavor profile.
- Thanks to the bacteria-killing effects of rum, Make-Ahead Eggnog can be prepared over Thanksgiving weekend and enjoyed at Christmas.
Brandy Egg Nog Recipes
Like rum, brandy is a popular additive for many egg nog lovers. Here are two of my favorite brandy egg nog recipes:
- Brandy Egg Nog is a quick, easy recipe akin to the type of egg nog cocktail you'd get in a bar or lounge.
- Homemade Brandy Egg Nog is a more elaborate brandy egg nog recipe.
Other Egg Nog Recipes With Alcohol
Beyond rum and brandy, there are lots of ways to spike egg nog. These recipes include multiple liquors, whiskey, peach brandy or other spirits:
- Old-Fashioned Egg Nog includes brandy and rum, as well as heavy whipping cream.
- Eggnog With Brandy, Bourbon or Rum is a versatile and detailed egg nog recipe.
- Chocolate Egg Nog provides a chocolaty, boozy flavor with chocolate milk, Kahlua and rum.
- Baltimore Egg Nog features peach brandy, plus regular brandy and light rum.
- Hypatia's Egg Nog includes Grand Marnier, rum and brandy.
- Bourbon Eggnog uses bourbon whiskey in lieu of rum or brandy.
- Easy Holiday Eggnog gets its kick from both bourbon and brandy.
- Vegan Egg Nog can be spiked with many vegan liquors, including various rums and brandies.
- Kentucky Egg Nog Spike is a spice-infused mixture of spirits that you can use to perk up plain egg nog.
- Egg Nog Martini is more a recipe for a martini with eggnog than an eggnog recipe, but it may be of interest to those who want their egg nog extra-heavy on alcohol.
No-Alcohol Egg Nog Recipes
Although most of the recipes above can be made without alcohol, these are most easily adapted for non-alcoholic egg nog recipes:
- Non-Alcoholic Egg Nog is a great recipe for kids and adults.
- Cooked Eggnog can be made with or without rum.
Easy Egg Nog Recipes
Looking for quick, easy egg nog recipes? Look no further:
- As the name suggests, Easy Egg Nog is very easy to make.
- Brandy Egg Nog is a quick, shaken drink that can easily be made at a bar.
- These two recipes for Cooked Egg Nog are easy to make (plus you probably won't have to worry about salmonella even if you're a terrible cook).
- Easy Holiday Eggnog only requires six ingredients. If that's not enough to inspire a bit of holiday cheer, I don't know what is.
- Busy around the holidays? (Who isn't?!) Make-Ahead Eggnog can be prepared over Thanksgiving weekend and enjoyed at Christmas.
Healthier Egg Nog Recipes
There's no denying that egg nog is unhealthy. These egg nog recipes may not be healthy, per se, but they are healthier than most egg nogs!
- Low Fat Egg Nog and Low Fat Spiked Eggnog use fat-free dairy ingredients.
- This Low Carb Egg Nog recipe uses Splenda for a lower carbohydrate count. This Low Carb Egg Nog recipe uses milk, unsweetened soy milk or unsweetened almond milk and the sweetener of your choice.
- This Vegan Egg Nog recipe is made with tofu and soymilk instead of milk and cream. This Vegan Eggnog gets its creamy texture from soymilk, non-dairy whipping cream and vegan vanilla pudding powder. This Vegan Eggnog uses silken tofu, soy ice cream and rice, soy or almond milk.
- Diet-Friendly "Virgin" Egg Nog cuts the calories, fat and alcohol found in traditional egg nog.
- No-Egg Nog is an egg-free version of classic egg nog.
Large-Batch Egg Nog Recipes
If you're cooking for a large group, check out these recipes for large batches of egg nog:
- Hypatia's Egg Nog is makes about 12 servings of spiked egg nog.
- Homemade Brandy Egg Nog makes 16 servings.
- This party-friendly Festive Egg Nog recipe makes 32 servings of spiked or no-alcohol egg nog.
Regional / International Egg Nog Recipes
Variations on egg nog are consumed around the world. Here are a few regional and national recipes worth trying:
- Mexican Egg Nog (or Rompope) is an alcohol-optional egg nog made with almonds.
- Coquito (Puerto Rican Egg Nog) is a traditional punch that is made with cream of coconut, rum and spices and served at Christmas and New Years celebrations.
- Eierlikoer, also known as Egg Flip, is a German style of egg nog that requires multiple spirits and a whole vanilla bean.
- Advocaat is a type of Dutch egg nog. It can be made without dairy, topped with whipped cream, or folded with whipped cream to make a dessert called Tokkelroom.
- Likier Jajeczny is a Polish style of egg nog made with French brandy and rectified spirits. It is steeped for four days and served cold.
- Lon's Egg Nog is from Lon's Restaurant at The Hermosa Inn in Paradise Valley, Arizona. Although I don't usually associate warm drinks with Phoenix weather, I hear it's very good!
Unusual Egg Nog Recipes
Some egg nog variations step far outside of holiday tradition. These unusual egg nog recipes include everything from coffee to chocolate liqueur to cider.
- Chocolate Egg Nog is a spiked egg nog with a chocolaty flavor.
- Baltimore Egg Nog features peach brandy.
- Less like egg nog recipes than recipes that use egg nog as an ingredient, Egg Nog Latte and Cold Coffee Nog combine egg nog's flavor with a caffeine kick.
- Tea Nog is an egg nog-like tea drink made with sweetened condensed milk.
- Although Cider Nog (a blend of egg nog and non-alcoholic cider) is a classic non-alcoholic drink, you probably haven't tried it in recent years.
- White Christmas is a chocolaty cocktail with an egg nog base.
- Bourbon Eggnog uses bourbon, cognac and Grand Marnier to create an unusual variation on classic spiked egg nog recipes.
Read on to discover eggnog dessert recipes.Egg Nog Dessert Recipes
During the holidays, egg nog is not only a popular drink -- it's also a popular flavor. These recipes use egg nog as an added flavor in desserts ranging from cakes and pies to truffles and cookies:
- Eggnog Cheesecake makes a fantastic dessert for holiday parties.
- Pumpkin-Pecan Pie With Egg Nog Whipped Cream combines three holiday favorites into one decadent dessert.
- This Yuletide Eggnog Cookies recipe includes egg nog in the cookies and the frosting.
- Eggnog Pudding Cake is an easy-to-make egg nog dessert recipe.
- Eggnog Truffle Cups feature eggnog-flavored truffle cream in dark chocolate candy cups.
- Egg Nog Pound Cake is easy to make for holiday gatherings.
- Eggnog Pound Cake With Rum includes rum extract and rum for a spiked egg nog flavor.
- Eggnog Pie and Chocolate Eggnog Pie are unusual alternative to more traditional holiday pies.
- Holiday Eggnog Cake has the flavor of egg nog, but is prepared completely from scratch.
- Eggnog Fudge replaces the cream in fudge with eggnog. Yum!