This low-fat Eggplant Parmesan dish makes a delicious and nutritious supper dish and includes healthy vegetables.
- 2 egg whites
- 2 1/2 lbs eggplant, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/4"-thick slices
- 1/2 cup plain dried bread crumbs
- Olive oil spray
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped with their juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp dried
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 4 oz)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line baking sheet with foil. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a shallow dish, beat the egg whites and 2 tbsp of water until foamy.
- Dip eggplant into egg whites, then into bread crumbs, pressing crumbs into the eggplant.
- Place eggplant on prepared baking sheet and spray oil over eggplant slices. Bake 30 minutes, turning eggplant over after 20 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Sauté the onions and garlic with oil spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir together tomatoes and their juice, basil, salt, pepper, garlic, and onions.
- Spoon 3 tbsp of tomato mixture into bottom of 9" square glass baking dish. Place half of eggplant over sauce; spoon half of remaining tomato mixture over eggplant, and sprinkle half of mozzarella on top. Repeat with remaining eggplant, tomato mixture, and mozzarella.
- Sprinkle Parmesan on top and bake for 20 minutes, or until eggplant is piping hot and sauce is bubbly.
Calories 274, Fat 6g,
Calories from Fat 20%, Protein 18g
Source: CDC 5-A-Day Campaign