01 of 04
Eight Treasure Rice Pudding Chinese New Year Dessert Recipe
Eight treasure rice pudding(八寶飯) is a traditional Chinese New Year dessert. The name “Eight Treasure’ comes from the “eight” key ingredients that this delicious dessert has. Traditionally Chinese people use eight different kinds of dried fruits to make this dessert, such as raisins or candied winter melon.
Depending on where you are located it might be difficult for you to get hold of eight different kinds of dried or candied fruit, so these recipe only calls for five that should be easily found... at your local Chinese or regular supermarket. Some other dried fruits you can consider using for this dessert are dates, red and green shredded plums, jackfruit or even dried longan pulp.
The number eight is a magic number for Chinese people. In Chinese, the number eight sounds like another Chinese work “fa 發 “. fa 發 in Chinese means rich or to thrive in business. Also, because this dessert is really colorful and pretty, it represents luck and sweetness for the new year. This dessert is very popular throughout both China and Taiwan, and even though this is regarded as a Chinese New Year dish it can be eaten throughout the year.
- Handful of sugar glazed cherries
- Handful of black raisins
- Handful of yellow raisins
- Handful of sugar lotus seeds (available in Chinese supermarket)
- 1 dried apricot
- 2 cups of “round” glutinous rice (sticky rice)
- 100g red bean paste (紅豆沙, available in Chinese supermarket)
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Ingredients for Sugar Syrup
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoon potato starch water (1/2 teaspoon potato starch with 1 tablespoon water and mix evenly, you can replace potato starch with corn flour)
- Couple drops of rose or any kind of flower essence. (optional)
In some traditional Eight Treasure Rice Pudding recipes it says to use “sweet-scented osmanthus sauce” but if you can't find any feel free to replace it with rose essence.Continue to 2 of 4 below.
02 of 04
Step 1 and step 2
Continue to 3 of 4 below.
- Soak round glutinous rice (sticky rice) in cold water for at least 1 hour. Cook it in a rice cooker or steamer just like the way you would cook normal rice. Gently mix the cooked rice with sunflower oil and salt when it’s still hot.
- Brush some oil on a medium size bowl and cut the sugar glazed cherry in half. Place the dried fruits and sugar glazed cherries as shown in the photo.
03 of 04
3. Put half of the cooked glutinous rice in the bowl and press down a little bit, then put 100g red bean paste in the middle.Continue to 4 of 4 below.
04 of 04
Step 4 to 7
4. Use a little bit of glutinous rice to cover the red bean paste and place the sugar lotus seeds and sugar glazed cherries around the bowl
5. Put all of the glutinous rice in the bowl and press down. Steam for 30 minutes.
6. Use a small pot to boil all the ingredients for the sugar syrup. Stir in potato starch water to thicken the syrup.
7. Flip the rice pudding on a plate and brush the sugar syrup on top. Ready to serve.