When the Elephant's Trunk Country Flea Market opened in 1979, a handful of sellers set out goods in a front yard. More than three decades later, the Sunday flea market fills a 55-acre field and calls itself New England's largest market. Some shoppers just call it the Elephant's Trunk Flea Market. Their address is 490 Danbury Road in New Milford, CT, 06776 and they are located just off Route 7, past the Brookfield line.
Elephant's Truck Dates and Times
This popular flea market is open every Sunday nine months a year, from April through mid-December, weather permitting. 2019 dates are Sunday, April 7 through Sunday, December 15. Admission prices are different, depending on what time you enter the Flea Market. Buyers can enter the property as early as 4:45 a.m. and can remain until closing at 3:30 p.m.
The Elephant's Trunk flea market uses an imaginative pricing strategy to admit buyers at all price ranges. The earlier admissions presumably have a better selection of goods from which to buy, but late-day admissions are inexpensive or free.
- Super-Early Buyers: $40 admission. The super-early buyers' admission allows entry to the flea market between the hours of 4:45 a.m. to 5:44 a.m. No other buyers are allowed to enter at this time.
- Early Buyers: $20 admission. The early buyers' admission allows entry to the flea market at 5:45 a.m. to 6:59 a.m. The only other buyers allowed in during this time are the super-early buyers.
- Regular Buyers: $2 admission. An affordable general admission allows entry from 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Admission for children 9 years and under is free.
- Free Admission is available to everyone between the hours of 2:00 p.m. and 3:30 p.m., at which time the flea market closes for the day.
All admissions include free parking. Note that only service animals are permitted. Pets are not allowed on the flea market grounds and cannot be left in vehicles.
The Elephant's Trunk Country Flea Market offers mostly antique and collectible wares. Some dealers sell new merchandise, but counterfeit items are prohibited. The selection varies weekly, but among the treasures, you are likely to find:
- Antiques of all types
- Used and vintage furniture
- Collectible glass and porcelain
- Silver and pewter
- New and vintage clothing
- Jewelry and fashion accessories
- Music, movie and video games
- Coins and baseball cards
- New and used books
- Garden plants, pots and furniture
- Vintage housewares and home accessories
- Fresh in-season flowers and produce
- Holiday decorations during the season
Elephant's Trunk Country Flea Market Shopping Tips
The flea market does not open during bad weather. If it looks like rain, call (860) 355-1448 or visit the flea market's website to make sure it is open before making the drive.
If you can't live without it, don't wait until late afternoon to buy. The super-early and early buyers get there early for a reason—so they'll have the first choice on the best buys.
Many dealers will haggle on price, but you'll get better prices later in the day.
Selling at Elephant's Trunk Country Flea Market
If you want to be a vendor at the flea market, you'll have to pay a fee for a selling space, which is approximately 20 by 20 feet. If one space isn't large enough, you can rent multiple adjoining spaces, but you must pay the fee for each space. Each space rental fee includes two adult admissions. Additional workers must pay admission cost for their arrival time.
If you bring more than one vehicle to haul your sale merchandise, each additional vehicle is charged a fee—even if it is just dropping off goods and leaving. All box trucks and trailers that come onto the field are charged a fee, even if you use one as your sole vehicle.
Additional information for vendors includes:
- The gates open for sellers at 4:15 a.m. and close at 6:55 a.m. Late arrivals are not allowed onto the field.
- Sellers must bring their own tables and tents.
- Sellers must have a Connecticut Tax Resale Certificate. Forms are available at the gate if you don't already have one.
- Sellers aren't permitted leave before 2:00 p.m. but they must be off the field by 3:30 p.m.
- No vendor is allowed to sell guns, knives or swords of any type (real or fake), pornographic material, counterfeit merchandise or animal leg-hold traps.
- Only Food Vendors are allowed to sell food and beverages.
For more information about Elephant's Trunk Country Flea Market, call (860) 355-1448, or email: ETFlea@gmail.com.