The Emeril by T-fal deep fryer is a large-capacity counter-top deep fryer that has four heat settings to fry a variety of foods and a built-in filtering system that cleans and saves oil for multiple uses.
Manufacturer's Product Description
- Automatic oil-filtering process cleans oil for reuse
- Oil change indicator light tells when to change oil
- All parts, except heating element, are safe to wash in sink or dishwasher
- Self-contained removable oil storage pan
- Short heating time for oil, usually less than 5 minutes
- Four temperature settings
- Indicator light tells when oil has reached the proper temperature
- Cooking chart with recommended settings and times included
- Oil capacity: 12 cups minimum/14 cups maximum
Pros of This Product
- Automatically filters, drains, and stores oil
- Parts are dishwasher-safe, except heating element
- Four frying temperatures
- Oil storage container in bottom of unit.
- Indicator light tells when oil needs to be changed
Cons of This Product
- Care must be taken to properly align the oil drainage pan to avoid leakage
- Takes up to 3 hours to fully filter oil
The Skinny on the Emeril by T-fal Deep Fryer
Today's deep-fryers are fairly standard when it comes to features. What sets the Emeril by T-fal deep fryer apart is the automatic oil filter that sifts the oil before draining it into a self-contained, yet removable oil pan.
This allows you to reuse the oil up to 15 times before replacing it. The machine keeps track of usage for you and has an oil-change indicator light to let you know when it is time to change the oil.
It takes up to 3 hours for the oil to filter and drain, so you'll have to exercise patience before you can clean the unit.
On the upside, all of the parts are dishwasher-safe, with the exception of the electrical heating element which is easily wiped clean with a damp sponge.
The tested unit had a little play in the locking mechanism that secures the oil drain pan in position. If not properly aligned, minor oil leakage can occur.
The deep fryer can be used with or without the basket and/or lid, which is helpful when making battered fried foods or doughnuts. The fryer basket handle folds in for easier placement in the dishwasher. The unit heats the oil to the desired temperature in a short time, usually under 5 minutes, and has a handy red indicator light that switches on when the correct temperature has been reached. Minimum oil capacity is 12 cups and maximum is 14 cups. There are fill lines embossed on the inside of the fryer oil well and the fryer basket.
The fryer has 4 temperature settings ranging from 320 F (160 C) to 375 F (190 C) as well as a built-in variable timer.
Recipe tests included originals as well as frozen food, and the unit performed admirably. This product gets a stamp of approval and is recommended.