Rip Esselstyn, author of The Engine 2 Diet calls this recipe the "Almighty Healthy Sandwich Wrap" and says, "Our very own Station 2 won the 2003 Austin Fire Department’s Healthy Wagon Contest with this very healthful and tasty lunch/dinner wrap. The judges included three experts—the Fire Department’s in-house health specialist, a local representative from the American Heart Association, and a member of the Mayor’s Council for Physical Fitness." Recipe reprinted with permission from The Engine 2 Diet, by Rip Esselstyn.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
- ½ can of corn, rinsed and drained
- 8 ounces roasted red bell pepper hummus (or 1 cup homemade)
- 2 large whole grain wraps
- ½ can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 roasted poblano pepper, cut into strips
- ½ package fresh spinach
Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
Sauté the onion until translucent. Add the bell pepper and cook for 2–3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and corn.
Spread a layer of hummus on the wrap. Add the sautéed vegetables, beans, poblano strips, and fresh spinach. Roll into a burrito.
Place on a baking sheet, seam side down, and bake for 8–10 minutes. Serve the wrap warm, and top with guacamole and salsa.
Makes two sandwich wraps.
Substitute one small can of drained green chilies for the fresh poblano pepper.
Reprinted with permission from The Engine 2 Diet, by Rip Esselstyn
Each wrap provides approximately:
Calories: 293, Calories from Fat: 79
% Daily Value:
Total Fat: 8.8g, 14%, Saturated Fat: 1.0g, 5%
Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%
Sodium: 367mg, 15%
Total Carbohydrates: 42.8g, 14%
Dietary Fiber: 10.5g, 42%
Vitamin A 87%, Vitamin C 90%, Calcium 9%, Iron 24%
Like vegetarian sandwiches or wrap sandwiches? Here's a few more to try:
- Black bean and avocado sandwich wrap
- Vegetarian tempeh and kalamata olive sandwich wrap
- Chickpea salad sandwich with sweet pickle relish
- Vegetarian deli-style sandwich
- Vegan grilled "cheese" with vegetarian bacon
- Engine 2 Diet vegetable and hummus wrap
- Swiss chard and cheese vegetarian wrap sandwich
- More of the best vegetarian and vegan sandwich ideas to try