Have you ever thought about buying used toys?
Every family has a toy that was passed onto them from a prior generation. In our family, my toddler son was happily riding around in a Little Tikes Cozy Coupe car, that same one that provided all sorts of fun and excitement to his 25-year-old aunt.
Over time, toys can be expensive and difficult for families to afford, and there are at least a dozen reasons to buy used toys.
Not only are used toys the perfect way for families to remain within a budget, but passing on and purchasing used toys to other children is also good long-term for the environment.
Many toy companies have a commitment to quality and design toys that are built to last, with the hopes they will be passed on from one generation to the next. While used toys should always be inspected for safety prior to use, and those who buy and sell used toys should always exercise caution when meeting with unfamiliar people, here are many choices of durable, well-made toys you should absolutely consider buying used.
- Wooden train toy sets and large train tables
- Little Tikes and Step 2 durable plastic outdoor toys such as: basketball hoops, small slides, cars, castles, picnic tables, sandboxes and various climbing structures
- Wooden Playground Sets
- Ride-On Toys that include items such as 3 Wheel Scooters, Luxury Cruisers, Cozy Coupes, Tricycles and even Bicycles with Training Wheels
- Stationary Baby Exersaucers and Activity Centers
- Open Ended Construction Toy Sets like LEGO, Playmobil, K’Nex, Lincoln Logs, Tinkertoys, Wooden blocks
- Play Kitchens
- Video Games such as Skylanders or Disney Infinity Toys and Video Game Systems like WiiU, XBox 360, Nintendo3DS
- Fisher Price Little People Pretend Play Sets
- American Girl Dolls, Clothing and Accessories
- Rocking Horses
- Power Wheels Toys (battery operated driveable cars)
- Halloween Costumes
Once you determine that buying used toys is the avenue you’d like to pursue, buyers need to decide whether they will purchase from an online website, or meet a seller locally in their community. All toys, prior to use, especially if they are purchased used should be inspected for safety prior, and be checked on the CPSC.gov website to make sure they have not been included in a toy recall.
Also consider buying toys that can easily be wiped down and sanitized if they have been utilized by families who may have pets or other unknown allergens present in their home.