Do your kids fuss and cry every time you go to take their temperature? Instead of tips and tricks, what you really need is a better thermometer, such as the Exergen Temporal Artery Thermometer—which lets you take your kids' temperatures quickly and easy, with no tears and no fuss.
Why Choose the Exergen Temporal Artery Thermometer
For some kids, it's not just the fact that the thermometers are cold and unfamiliar; if they have small mouths, it can actually be physically uncomfortable to hold the thermometer beneath their tongues for the required amount of time.
And if they're suffering from an ear infection, inserting an ear thermometer can intensity their discomfort—causing them to associate having their temperature taken with pain and irritation.
For many parents, what winds up happening is that you rely on the hand-over-the-forehead test to gauge whether they have a fever, instead of actually taking their temperature. Yet, if you had to call your child's pediatrician for advise on whether your sick child needs further medical attention, they might actually want to know the true number, not just a guess.
How to Use the Exergen Temporal Artery Thermometer
The Exergen Temporal Artery Thermometer is a digital thermometer, but you don't have to insert it in your child's mouth or ear canal. Instead, you press the thermometer directly to the center of your child's forehead, press the button, and swipe it all the way across to their temple before lifting it away from their head.
That's it! It gives you an immediate, accurate reading of your child's temperature. You'll also hear a beep that lets you know the thermometer is working.
Drawbacks to the Exergen Forehead Thermometer
- Extreme room-to-room temperature variances can affect the accuracy of the Exergen Temporal Artery Thermometer. Therefore, if you're bringing the thermometer from a very cold room into an average room, you might need to wait a few minutes before getting an accurate reading.
- Similarly, my son has a goose-neck lamp attached to his bed that can become quite warm. When taking his temperature, I just have to make sure he hasn't been sitting under that lamp, or I may end up with an artificially high reading.
- If your kids sweat a lot in their sleep or while they're recovering from a fever, you'll need to adjust the manner in which you use the Exergen Temporal Artery Thermometer. Instead of removing the thermometer from their head just as you reach the temple area, you would need to bring it down behind their ear first, and then remove it. Directions for this step are included with the packaging materials, but it's something to be aware of if your kids tend to sweat a lot.
Benefits of the Exergen Temporal Artery Thermometer
- It's fast and accurate.
- It's just as easy to use on yourself as it is on your kids.
- It significantly reduces kids' anxieties about putting a thermometer under their tongues
- It allows you to take your kids' temperature while they're sleeping
- It comes with a 9-volt battery
Is the Exergen Temporal Artery Thermometer Worth the Investment?
When I first discovered the Exergen Temporal Artery Thermometer, it was $39. Fortunately, prices have come down since then, and you can probably purchase it now for under $30.
We've had ours for several years, and the peace of mind knowing that I'm getting an accurate reading—minus the —has definitely been well worth the investment.