This easy dessert made with bananas and lychee only takes five minutes to make. But don't be deceived by its simplicity. The taste is so wonderfully sweet and exotic that many find it addictive. It's also a low-fat dessert that happens to be incredibly healthy.
This banana lychee pudding is more of what they would call a "dessert soup" in Asia. This simple banana lychee dessert recipe can be served warm or cold, depending on the weather and your mood. Serving it chilled is great on a hot summer night while serving it warm makes this a superb comfort food.
It's also a great way to use up leftover bananas. The riper the bananas are, the more flavor they have developed and the sweeter they will be. Don't toss those brown-spotted bananas, make them into a lovely dessert.
- 1 large ripe banana, or 2 small
- 8-10 fresh lychees, peeled (see instructions below), OR canned lychees (drained)
- 1 can coconut milk (regular or "lite")
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup of loosely packed brown sugar, depending on desired sweetness
- pinch of salt
- Peel the lychees if you are using fresh fruit.
- Peel the bananas, then slice them in half lengthwise. Cut these lengths into smaller sections - roughly 2 inches long.
- Pour the coconut milk into a saucepan or pot, and place it over medium-high heat.
- Add the sugar, stirring to dissolve (about 30 seconds to 1 minute). Start by adding 1/4 cup sugar, taste-testing for sweetness. If you'd like it sweeter, add a little more.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Continue stirring until the bananas, and lychees are warmed through (1-2 minutes).
Serve the banana-lychee soup immediately, or cover it and place it in the refrigerator for later. This dessert is excellent served either warm or cold. Chilled is great for hot summer days, while warm is a perfect comfort food during cooler weather. It can be your go-to recipe year-round.
For tips on finding and using fresh lychee fruit (also called "lychee nut"), see how to shop for and prepare lychee fruit. You don't have to be intimidated by this fruit if it is new to you. It is easy to peel and use. Lychees can be found year-round at Asian food stores, or you can resort to using canned lychees for convenience.
You can also use lychee fruit in a tropical Thai fruit salad. Other Thai dessert ideas include Thai creme caramel using coconut milk instead of cream and Thai mango sticky rice with a coconut milk sauce.