This easy breakfast bake is made with whole eggs, thick bacon, and shredded cheese. It's easy to prepare and bakes quickly for a fabulous everyday breakfast in one dish. Serve this flavorful breakfast with sliced fresh fruit or berries, or make a warm spiced fruit compote.
- 6 thick slices bacon
- 2 cups coarse bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half (or light cream)
- Dash salt (or to taste)
- Dash freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- Cook the bacon and coarsely chop. See the tip below for cooking the bacon.
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Toss the bread crumbs with the melted butter.
- Grease an 8-inch square baking dish with butter. Sprinkle half of the bread crumbs over the bottom of the dish. Follow with about half of the shredded cheese, then half of the coarsely chopped cooked bacon.
- Break each egg in a cup before sliding into the baking dish. Top the bacon and cheese layer evenly with the 4 eggs.
- Top the eggs with the remaining bread crumbs, cheese, and bacon. Pour cream evenly over all. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until set.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with chives, if using.
- Cut into four portions and serve with fresh sliced fruit or berries. It's also great with warm spiced mixed fruit, like this fruit compote with cinnamon, cooked in the slow cooker.
The breakfast bake serves 3 to 4, and can be doubled and baked in a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking dish for a larger family.
Tip: Cook the bacon in the oven. Line a large baking pan, such as a jelly roll pan, with foil. Top with a cake cooling rack or broiling rack. Spray with nonstick baking spray then lay the bacon on the rack. Bake at 375° for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until done as desired. Drain on paper towels and eat as is or dice and use in a recipe.