This farmers' breakfast is a whole breakfast for four in one skillet.
There are lots of different vegetables you can add to this dish. Mushrooms could be sauteed ahead of time and then added with the eggs. Finely chopped bell peppers could be sauteed with the potatoes. They would give the dish extra color and flavor.
- 5 strips bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 3 medium cooked potatoes, cubed
- 6 eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese
- In a large, heavy skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain. In drippings, cook onion and potatoes until browned, about 5 minutes. Pour the beaten eggs into the skillet.
- Cook, stirring gently, until the eggs are set and cooked through. Season with salt and pepper; sprinkle with the bacon and shredded cheese.
- Let stand a minute or two, just until cheese melts.
- Add chopped green onion tops to the potatoes about 1 minute before you add the eggs.
- Add a few tablespoons of chopped bell peppers along with the onion.
- Instead of bacon, brown about 8 ounces of diced ham in the skillet. Sprinkle it over the top of the egg and potatoes along with the shredded cheese.
- Instead of bacon, brown about 8 ounces of bulk pork sausage in the skillet. Sprinkle over the top of the egg and potato mixture with the cheese.