Need a fat-free and low-calorie chocolate treat idea? Sure you do!
If so, you've come to the right place. These easy homemade chocolate brownies are low in calories and completely fat-free! That doesn't necessarily make them healthy, though, as these fat-free chocolate brownies are still full of sugar. But you can still enjoy knowing they are low-cal and fat-free!
They're made with applesauce to keep them moist and fat-free (in place of the usual oil which most brownie recipes call for), non-fat milk powder instead of milk, and they have just one egg white, making them a reduced-cholesterol recipe as well.
Also, scroll down for some fat-free and sugar-free frosting ideas to top off your brownies, if you'd like!
Fat-free brownie recipe and courtesy of the Wheat Foods Council.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dry milk powder (non-fat)
- 1 egg white (slightly beaten)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Optional: 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- First, pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly coat an 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking pan with cooking spray and then set it aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, unsweetened cocoa, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon until well mixed, then set the bowl aside.
- In medium bowl, beat together the sugar, brown sugar, non-fat dry milk powder, egg white, applesauce and vanilla with a spoon until well combined.
- Stir the wet mixture into the dry mixture, mixing just until the ingredients are well moistened. Do not over mix.
- Spread the brownie batter evenly in the prepared baking pan and bake in the oven for 22 to 23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of your brownies comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack, and, if you're not planning on frosting your brownies, you can give them a light dusting with powdered sugar, if you'd like.
If you do want to frost your brownies, you might want to try a healthier frosting recipe to go along with your healthier brownies. Here's a few options:
- Coconut butter vanilla frosting with agave nectar
- Refined sugar-free peanut butter frosting
- Refined sugar-free chocolate frosting recipe
- Creamy fat-free vegan frosting made from tofu
Makes 16 fat-free and low-calorie chocolate brownies. Enjoy your guilt-free treat!
Nutritional Information (per serving):
82 calories; 2 g protein; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g fiber; 11 mcg folate; 1 mg iron; 121 mg sodium.
Scroll down for more fat-free, low-calorie, and healthy dessert recipes to try.