These Italian seasoned meatballs are made with two parts ground beef and one part Italian sausage. Minced garlic, dried basil, and grated Parmesan cheese flavor the meatballs perfectly. The meatballs are baked or broiled, a method I think is much easier (and less messy) than frying.
These meatballs are delicious simmered in purchased or homemade spaghetti sauce. Double the recipe and freeze some for another day. See the tips and variations for some additional ideas, including how to make them gluten free.
Serve meatballs with spaghetti or linguine and a tossed salad, and pass the Parmesan cheese. They would make fabulous meatball sandwiches as well.
Related Recipe: Maria's Italian Meatballs
- 1 pound lean or extra-lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage (or remove from casings)
- 1/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 3 medium cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 scant teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons water, or as needed
- Line a large shallow rimmed baking pan with foil; oil lightly. If desired, place a rack in the baking pan. Combine all ingredients, using just enough water to moisten. Shape into meatballs, about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter.
- Arrange the meatballs in the pan or on the rack.
- Broil the meatballs about 8 inches from the heat source for about 10 minutes. Turn and broil for 10 minutes longer. Alternatively, the meatballs may be baked for about 30 minutes at 375 F, turning after about 15 minutes.
- Put the meatballs in a large saucepan and cover with your favorite pasta sauce, homemade or purchased. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serves 6 (about 18 to 24 large meatballs).
Tips and Variations
- To make your meatballs absolutely uniform in size, weigh them on a food scale as you shape them.
- Gluten-Free Meatballs: Instead of bread crumbs, use tapioca bread crumbs or a similar gluten-free bread crumb substitute.
- If desired, omit the Parmesan cheese.
- Our Favorite Meatballs - I made these meatballs today for dinner tonight. My husband took one of them out of my homemade sauce to sample before dinner. He couldn't stop raving about how good the meatballs and sauce tasted and could hardly wait to eat more. I had a sample and totally agreed with him. These meatballs were easy to make and have such a delicious flavor. Thank you so much for sharing this great recipe. We look forward to the leftovers. I know I'll be making them again real soon. ~Bouboulina
- Family Favorite - I was making this recipe exactly for several months and my family LOVED them. But then I was diagnosed with a gluten allergy, which meant I couldn't use the bread crumbs or Italian sausage. I switched it up with tapioca bread crumbs and I season my own ground pork. Just as good! LOVE this recipe! ~NiaMalek
You Might Also Like